OpenBSD woes

Based on the encouragement I received to my previous post I installed OpenBSD on the 250 again and this time I compiled a multi processor enabled kernel from current and it worked! So now I’m back on OpenBSD again and it feels great. 🙂

I also found that the AR5212 WiFi chipset is one of the supported chipsets in OpenBSD and as it happens I bought a D-Link DWL-G520 a couple of years ago that hasn’t been doing any good ever so I decided to install it in the 250. A huge Sun machine with a small WiFi antenna on the back looks kind of cool in my opinion. Sadly the ath is not as stable as I had hoped so it will have to be left disabled for the time being. So no replacing the Linksys just yet.
There is of course also the possibility that it is caused by a problem in -current, I’ll just have to wait and see.

MySQL seems to require a significant amount of processing power as it is a constant bottleneck when servicing pages from WordPress. There is a very noticable latency whenever I load anything dynamic that requires data from the db whereas other pages come up instantly. I guess I’ll have to dig through the MySQL documentation on how to optimize it. Especially considering that at the time being it is very memory conservative, much more than it need be.